Skip to content

Meriden Firearms Long Tom Stock

August 17, 2011

I’m about to start cutting into another project, this time an old, well-used shotgun. It’s a 12 gauge single shot, manufactured by J. Stevens* with Long Tom engraved into the side of the receiver. This is a typical shotgun of its time, with a hard rubber buttplate and grip cap on a straight grained walnut stock. The stock shows a lot of “character,” especially as it’s broken at the wrist with flattened checkering. The barrel is 36″ long- it doesn’t lack in the sight radius department and the metal shows no finish- just a rich brown patina and a spot of case coloring under the trigger guard. It’s still functional and the internal parts are not exactly clean, but definitely functional.

*Research done after publishing this post has confirmed this is in fact a Meriden Firearms shotgun. This particular shotgun was was sold in the 1916 Sears, Roebuck fall catalog.

I’ll be cleaning up the shotgun and leaving the metal alone for the most part, but will be cutting a new stock from a blank of vibrant Oregon walnut. Aside from a modern rubber buttpad, it will be a very traditionally styled shotgun. I don’t know much about these guns and haven’t been able to find much out online, so if anyone could provide some info on the gun I’d appreciate it!

About these ads
10 Comments leave one →
  1. Robert Floyd permalink
    October 9, 2011 10:52 pm

I also have this gun and if you receive any info would you please post it. Mine is missing the forearm and hardware and i have been searching for quite awhile without any luck. If you could post pictures of the old or new forearm with hardware installed i would be very thankful.

• Bruce Libal permalink
      January 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi, Gunbroker has one right now on their auction site. Search for Meriden. The top of the pivot plate is very wide where it meets the barrel. Others will be very narrow at the top. That is why I think this gun was made by Meriden. I just bought a gun like this at a gun auction this weekend. It is a parts gun and missing the trigger. We had one at home that needed a new stock and I thought I would buy this one and remove the stock and fix the one at home. THEY WERE NOT THE SAME. The one I just bought has the writing in fancy script (like the one here) and the one at home is straight block lettering. The barrel, forearm and receiver are different and do not interchange. I too am looking now for the trigger part and can’t find anybody that lists anything for the gun. I wish I knew if the gun had similiar parts in another gun model. Anyway, the research I have done lists three companies that made this gun for Sears and Meriden was one of them. Let me know if you can’t find the forearm and I will help further. I know I just saw it!

2. Bruce Libal permalink
    January 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi, I just looked and remembered that they misspelled Meriden as Meridian. Item number 270126161. Let me know if this helps!

3. Robert Floyd permalink
    July 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Hey Bruce, sorry for the delay. Mine has the script writing also. If your interested in selling the gun or just the forearm or forearm hardware let me know.Email is robert_floyd37@homail.com

4. December 8, 2013 10:40 am

How would I go about determining which Co made my Dads Long Tom? the only markings inside the breach are a stand alone “J” and the #’s 627I. and there is also a circle stamped in the inside of the breach with the capital “N”? any help would be appreciated.

• December 9, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi Carl- good question! I did a lot of searching online and you will see each manufacturer made their own little changes to the basic receiver design, with respect to things like the trigger and hammer pin locations and angles. I found a shotgun for sale that looked exactly like mine and it was advertised as a Meriden, which I hadn’t seen before. I emailed the Meriden historical group and they positively identified my gun. Dating is even tougher because each manufacturer did their own record keeping and the guns were often sold under private label brands, not to mention being very old. Do you have any photos of the shotgun?

• Cark permalink
        December 9, 2013 8:37 pm

No pictures currently, I can get a few by the weekend. As of right now, I’m assuming its a J Stephens considering the “J” stamp. But not sure. The shotgun is in excellent conditions however. Its the first gun my daddy ever shot and he’s in his mid 70s. I think he said he was 12 the first time he shot it. It dies have 2 3/4 stamped on barrell and the numbers do match. In left side of barrell its stamped “proof tested”. Rt hand barell us stamped with “Barrelled and Lug forged in one piece”. Ill get pics over the weekend. Thanks for the reply.

• December 10, 2013 9:48 am

Carl,

The stampings sound interesting. Having the EXACT details on them will be very important in identifying the manufacturer.

Thanks,
        Evan

5. December 8, 2013 10:42 am

I would like to also try to determine approximately what year it was made.

6. Carl permalink
    December 9, 2013 8:41 pm

I was mistaken, it does NOT have 2 3/4 stamped on barell.